Anti-al Qaeda leader escapes assassination in Iraq
Baghdad: Iraqi authorities say that a prominent leader of a militia opposed to al Qaeda has escaped an assassination attempt that left five bodyguards killed and four others wounded.
Interior Ministry spokesman Saad Maan Ibrahim said the Monday afternoon attack occurred when two suicide bombers attacked the motorcade of Wisam al-Hardan near his house in Baghdad`s western Harthiyah neighborhood.
The Sunni tribal sheik was not hurt in the attack.
Al-Hardan was recently appointed by the Iraqi prime minister to lead the Sunni militia known as Sahwa, which joined US troops in the war against al Qaeda at the height of Iraq war.
Ever since, it has been a target for Sunni insurgents who consider them traitors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir