Anti-al Qaeda leader escapes assassination in Iraq
Baghdad: Iraqi authorities say that a prominent leader of a militia opposed to al Qaeda has escaped an assassination attempt that left five bodyguards killed and four others wounded.
Interior Ministry spokesman Saad Maan Ibrahim said the Monday afternoon attack occurred when two suicide bombers attacked the motorcade of Wisam al-Hardan near his house in Baghdad`s western Harthiyah neighborhood.
The Sunni tribal sheik was not hurt in the attack.
Al-Hardan was recently appointed by the Iraqi prime minister to lead the Sunni militia known as Sahwa, which joined US troops in the war against al Qaeda at the height of Iraq war.
Ever since, it has been a target for Sunni insurgents who consider them traitors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II