Anti-al Qaeda leader killed in Iraq shooting
Baghdad: A local leader of anti-al Qaeda militiamen was shot dead on Tuesday in western Baghdad, one of four people killed in violence in different parts of Iraq, officials said.
The pro-government militiamen, known as the Sahwa group, joined forces with US troops to fight al Qaeda during the Iraq war. Since then, the group has been a target for Sunni insurgents who consider its members to be traitors.
The leader was driving through Baghdad`s western suburb of Abu Ghraib when drive-by shooters sprayed his car with bullets, killing him, a police officer said.
Another group of drive-by shooters shot and killed a municipality official in the capital`s southern Saydiyah neighbourhood, another police officer said.
Also in Baghdad, gunmen broke into a real estate office in the northern Sabi al-Boor neighbourhood, killing two and wounding two, police said. The motive behind the attack was not immediately clear.
Three health officials confirmed the causalities. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorised to release the information to reporters.
Also, the provincial spokesman of the northern Kurdish city of Irbil, Hamza Othman, says a bomb attached to a car belonging to the Kurdish regional forces exploded and wounded a colonel.
Irbil is in Iraq`s largely peaceful Kurdish region, 350 kilometres north of Baghdad. The area has generally been free of the bombings and shootings that have plagued the rest of Iraq.
Violence has ebbed in Iraq, but Sunni insurgents still launch frequent attacks to challenge the Shiite-led government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested