Anti-al Qaeda leader killed in Iraq shooting
Baghdad: A local leader of anti-al Qaeda militiamen was shot dead on Tuesday in western Baghdad, one of four people killed in violence in different parts of Iraq, officials said.
The pro-government militiamen, known as the Sahwa group, joined forces with US troops to fight al Qaeda during the Iraq war. Since then, the group has been a target for Sunni insurgents who consider its members to be traitors.
The leader was driving through Baghdad`s western suburb of Abu Ghraib when drive-by shooters sprayed his car with bullets, killing him, a police officer said.
Another group of drive-by shooters shot and killed a municipality official in the capital`s southern Saydiyah neighbourhood, another police officer said.
Also in Baghdad, gunmen broke into a real estate office in the northern Sabi al-Boor neighbourhood, killing two and wounding two, police said. The motive behind the attack was not immediately clear.
Three health officials confirmed the causalities. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorised to release the information to reporters.
Also, the provincial spokesman of the northern Kurdish city of Irbil, Hamza Othman, says a bomb attached to a car belonging to the Kurdish regional forces exploded and wounded a colonel.
Irbil is in Iraq`s largely peaceful Kurdish region, 350 kilometres north of Baghdad. The area has generally been free of the bombings and shootings that have plagued the rest of Iraq.
Violence has ebbed in Iraq, but Sunni insurgents still launch frequent attacks to challenge the Shiite-led government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!