Anti-Assad Syrian rights lawyer abducted in rebel territory
Beirut: Razan Zaitouneh, a prominent Syrian human rights lawyer who went into hiding for her widely publicized work on atrocities committed by President Bashar al-Assad`s forces, has been kidnapped in a rebel-held town, activists said on Tuesday.
Zaitouneh is a key figure in the revolt-turned-civil war and has been instrumental in providing information on Assad`s crackdown in a country with little or no free press. She has also criticized figures in the opposition.
It was not clear who had taken the 36-year-old lawyer and members of her team who work to document human rights violations, according to the opposition-run Local Council for Douma, a town near Damascus where she lives that has been bombarded by Assad`s forces.
The council condemned "this treacherous and cowardly act, which resembles the work of the regime".
The Local Coordination Committee, a countrywide network of opposition activists, said Zaitouneh had been abducted with her husband, Wael Hamada, and two colleagues, Samira Al Khalil and Nazem Al Hamadi.
One activist, who asked to remain anonymous as the topic is sensitive, said that some opposition activists and rebels in Douma had criticized Zaitouneh.
The lawyer had gone into hiding in March 2011 at the start of the uprising against Assad, fearing arrest, but continued her work, winning several awards.
Syria`s conflict began with peaceful protests and, when these were violently suppressed, developed into an armed insurrection.
Armed groups - including hardline Islamist groups, criminals and Western-backed rebels - have taken control of large swathes of Syria and more than 100,000 people have been killed, but the fighting has broadly settled into a stalemate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill