Anti-Castro Cubans shift funding to US Democrats
Washington: Groups opposing Cuba`s communist regime have dramatically shifted funding toward the US Democrats since the party took control of Congress in last year`s elections, according to a study published on Monday.
Seventy-six percent of funding from anti-Castro political action committees in the last 12 months was channelled to Democrats and just 24 percent to Republicans -- who have long been seen as the anti-Castro party.
The study carried out by Public Campaign, an organization that campaigns against interest groups skewing the political debate through donations, said a total of USD 10 million was funnelled from anti-Castro groups since 2004.
In 2004, Republicans received 71 percent of that so-called PAC money.
"Now that Democrats control the agenda, the PAC has dramatically shifted its strategy to develop relationships with Democratic members," said Public Campaign.
The 53 Democratic legislators who earlier this year signed a letter against lifting the 47-year-old economic embargo against Cuba where among the beneficiaries, receiving USD 510,000 from one organisation.
But it is not just Congress` anti-Castro stalwarts who have come under Public Campaign`s scrutiny.
"It is a group of at least 18 House members whose positions have changed since 2004 on matters related to Cuba that attracted our curiosity," the group said.
They pointed to North Carolina Democrat Mike McIntyre, who is alleged to have consistently voted for measures lifting the embargo until 2004, when he received the first tranche of a total USD 14,500 from anti-Castro groups.
Public Campaign based their study on data on donations of over USD 1,000 which are required by law to be made public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report