Anti-gay marriage marchers take to French streets
Paris: Groups opposing President Francois Hollande`s plan to legalize gay marriage and adoption took to the streets across France Sunday.
Hollande said he would enact his "marriage for everyone" plan within a year of coming to power in May, but vocal opposition from religious leaders, some politicians and parts of rural France has divided the country.
Today`s protest, called the "March for Everyone," included pro-family and Catholic groups. Several thousand people marched in Paris, carrying signs with slogans such as "One child (equals) one father + one mother."
Their final destination was the Invalides monument, the final resting place of Napeolon Bonaparte, the French leader who invented the country`s prized civil code, which is still in force today. It states that marriage is a union between a man and a woman, a point the gay marriage bill seeks to overturn. Another reform would be to replace the entries in a child`s registry book from "father" and "mother" to "parent 1" and "parent 2."
Elsewhere, France`s largest demonstrations, estimated to be several thousand people strong, took place in Toulouse and France`s second city, Lyon.
The marches today had a dress code of blue, white and pink, putting a spin on the French tricolore flag`s traditional colors of blue, white and red.
A recent survey found that most French favor gay marriage, while support for adoption by gay couples hovers at around 50 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?