Anti-Islam film: 5 killed as US embassies in Sudan targetted
Khartoum: At least five people were killed as thousands of Sudanese protesters on Friday tried to enter the US embassy in Khartoum after violent rallies held outside the German and British missions, Xinhua reported.
The five dead were reportedly protesters hit by a police vehicle as they attempted to reach the US embassy.
Witnesses said nearly 10,000 protesters, furious about an anti-Islam movie that allegedly insults Prophet Mohammed, headed towards the US embassy, which was already guarded by Sudanese troops and policemen.
US marines were also seen protecting the embassy building.
Earlier, protesters stormed the embassies of Germany and Britain in protest against the film, Xinhua said.
Parts of the German embassy complex were torched and badly damaged. The German flag was lowered and replaced with a black Islamist one.
A huge gray cloud of smoke could be seen surrounding the complex.
Police fired tear gas shells to disperse the protestors, some of whom even scaled the roof of the German embassy.
German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle said diplomatic staff at the embassy were safe.
Violent protest also spread to the British embassy nearby, and thousands were then headed towards southern Khartoum where the US embassy is situated, sources said.
The controversial film, "Innocence of Muslims", triggered an attack on US diplomats in eastern Libya, which led to the death of US ambassador Chris Stevens and three embassy staffers.
Protests have hit a number of Muslim countries in the region including Egypt, Yemen, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait and Qatar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price