Anti-Islam groups rally in Norway
Oslo: About 40 people gathered for an anti-Islam demonstration in Oslo, and were met with jeers and chants of "no Nazis on our streets" from a larger group of counterdemonstrators.
The protest was staged by the Norwegian Defence League, a group inspired by the larger English Defence League, which has carried out rowdy anti-Islam protests in Britain.
The defense leagues say they`re not racists but "patriots" opposing a perceived Islamization of Europe.
Police spokesman Finn Belle said today`s demonstration was peaceful and police successfully kept the two sides apart.
He said three counterdemonstrators were detained for disturbing the peace and were fined before being released.
The anti-Islam gunman who killed 77 people in Norway last year expressed support for the English Defence League and similar groups, though most denounced his attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics