Anti-Islam groups rally in Norway
Oslo: About 40 people gathered for an anti-Islam demonstration in Oslo, and were met with jeers and chants of "no Nazis on our streets" from a larger group of counterdemonstrators.
The protest was staged by the Norwegian Defence League, a group inspired by the larger English Defence League, which has carried out rowdy anti-Islam protests in Britain.
The defense leagues say they`re not racists but "patriots" opposing a perceived Islamization of Europe.
Police spokesman Finn Belle said today`s demonstration was peaceful and police successfully kept the two sides apart.
He said three counterdemonstrators were detained for disturbing the peace and were fined before being released.
The anti-Islam gunman who killed 77 people in Norway last year expressed support for the English Defence League and similar groups, though most denounced his attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?