Anti-military rule protester killed in Egypt
Cairo: Security officials say a protester has been killed when clashes erupted between unidentified assailants and demonstrators gathered outside the Defence Ministry in the Egyptian capital to call for an end to military rule.
They said the clashes broke out late Saturday when the assailants set upon the protesters. Rocks, fireworks, empty glass bottles and firebombs were used in three hours of street battles. At least 30 were wounded.
Troops and police made no attempt to stop the violence.
Many of the protesters were supporters of an ultraconservative politician angered by his disqualification from running in next month`s Presidential Election.
The officials spoke Sunday on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what