Anwar seeks prosecution team`s disqualification in sodomy case
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 18:32
  
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia's opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim on Tuesday filed an application before a court seeking disqualification of the prosecution team in his ongoing sodomy trial on the grounds of "a real danger of bias."

Anwar, a former deputy premier and adviser to the opposition PKR party headed by his wife, filed the application for a judicial review through his lawyer Sankara Nair.

The opposition leader was charged with sodomy by his former aide Mohd Saiful last year. Anwar has denied the charge.

Anwar claimed that the application was not meant to delay court proceedings but to ensure that he was entitled to equal protection under the law.

He claimed that he had an arguable case and that there were points of law to be raised in his application.

Anwar said his application was due to reasonable apprehension of bias and/or a real danger of bias by the respondents against him.

Anwar said he was also concerned about the existence of conflicts of interest and "prosecutorial misconduct" by the respondents.

He contended that several prosecutors involved in the current sodomy trial were also involved in his previous case in 1998 which was done in "bad faith" and aimed at tarnishing his name.

He claimed there was suppression of evidence, arguing that until now the prosecution had failed to supply certain documents which he requested for preparation of his defence in the trial.

Bureau Report


First Published: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 18:32


comments powered by Disqus