Anwar`s sodomy trial to go on as court rejects his appeal
Malaysia`s opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim failed Tuesday in his bid to strike out a sodomy charge against him, with a court here deciding to go ahead with the trial.
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia`s opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim failed Tuesday in his bid to strike out a sodomy charge against him, with a court here deciding to go ahead with the trial.
The High Court rejected Anwar`s application asking for the case to be thrown out before being heard and fixed January 25 to February 25 for the trial.
Anwar`s lawyer Sankara Nair said he will appeal the decision in the Appeals Court.
A former aide of the political leader had lodged a police report last year alleging that Anwar, a former deputy premier had sodomised him.
Anwar`s lawyers had said that doctors who had examined the aide had not found any signs of penetration and had asked for the trial to be dismissed.
However, the court dismissed the application, saying the prosecution might have other evidence to prove its case.
"I didn`t expect anything different," Anwar told reporters after the ruling.
Anwar, 61, who made made massive elector al gains in last year`s elections, had spent six years in prison from 1998 after being convicted of sodomizing his family driver, but was
freed after Malaysia`s top court overturned his conviction.
The opposition leader has maintained that he has been framed as part of a political conspiracy.