APEC agrees to promote nuclear power: Reports
Tokyo: Asia-Pacific ministers and officials
agreed Saturday to promote renewable sources and nuclear power in
a bid to maintain energy security and cut greenhouse gas
emissions in the region.
Japan hosted the one-day energy meeting of the Asia
Pacific Economic Cooperation forum (APEC), in Fukui, ahead of
a summit scheduled for November in Yokohama, southwest of
In a statement adopted at the meeting, the forum agreed
that the deployment of renewable energy, nuclear energy and
power generation involving carbon capture and storage
technology should be promoted, Kyodo News reported.
As for new nuclear power plant construction, the
statement said "solid financial frameworks as well as
cooperation among member economies and with relevant
multilateral organisations" could be of help, Kyodo said.
It was the first time APEC had clearly stipulated the
promotion of building new nuclear power plants, Kyodo said,
quoting Japanese government officials.
Japan has been eager to promote nuclear power as a
largely carbon-free energy source, although it has often been
plagued by safety concerns and problems related to radioactive
During the meeting, US Deputy Secretary of Energy Daniel
Poneman said he wanted to share the experience of the
disastrous oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico with other APEC
members to prevent a recurrence, news reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug