APEC agrees to promote nuclear power: Reports
Tokyo: Asia-Pacific ministers and officials
agreed Saturday to promote renewable sources and nuclear power in
a bid to maintain energy security and cut greenhouse gas
emissions in the region.
Japan hosted the one-day energy meeting of the Asia
Pacific Economic Cooperation forum (APEC), in Fukui, ahead of
a summit scheduled for November in Yokohama, southwest of
In a statement adopted at the meeting, the forum agreed
that the deployment of renewable energy, nuclear energy and
power generation involving carbon capture and storage
technology should be promoted, Kyodo News reported.
As for new nuclear power plant construction, the
statement said "solid financial frameworks as well as
cooperation among member economies and with relevant
multilateral organisations" could be of help, Kyodo said.
It was the first time APEC had clearly stipulated the
promotion of building new nuclear power plants, Kyodo said,
quoting Japanese government officials.
Japan has been eager to promote nuclear power as a
largely carbon-free energy source, although it has often been
plagued by safety concerns and problems related to radioactive
During the meeting, US Deputy Secretary of Energy Daniel
Poneman said he wanted to share the experience of the
disastrous oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico with other APEC
members to prevent a recurrence, news reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical