Appalled by al Bayda massacre in Syria: US
Washington: Appalled by horrific reports that more than 100 people were killed in gruesome May 2 attacks on the Syrian coastal town of al-Bayda, the United States on Saturday demanded that those behind it be brought to book.
"The United States is appalled by horrific reports that more than 100 people were killed (on) May 2 in gruesome attacks on the coastal town of al-Bayda," State Department spokesperson, Jennifer Psaki, said.
Regime and Shabiha forces reportedly destroyed the area with mortar fire before storming the town and executing entire families, including women and children.
"We extend our deepest condolences to the families of the victims of this tragedy," she said in a statement.
"We strongly condemn atrocities against the civilian population and reinforce our solidarity with the Syrian people.
"As the Assad regime`s violence against innocent civilians escalates, we will not lose sight of the men, women, and children whose lives are being so brutally cut short," she said.
"We call on all responsible actors in Syria to speak out against the perpetration of unlawful killings against any group, regardless of faith or ethnicity.
"Those responsible for serious violations of international humanitarian law and serious violations and abuses of human rights law must be held accountable," Psaki demanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!