Appalled by al Bayda massacre in Syria: US
Washington: Appalled by horrific reports that more than 100 people were killed in gruesome May 2 attacks on the Syrian coastal town of al-Bayda, the United States on Saturday demanded that those behind it be brought to book.
"The United States is appalled by horrific reports that more than 100 people were killed (on) May 2 in gruesome attacks on the coastal town of al-Bayda," State Department spokesperson, Jennifer Psaki, said.
Regime and Shabiha forces reportedly destroyed the area with mortar fire before storming the town and executing entire families, including women and children.
"We extend our deepest condolences to the families of the victims of this tragedy," she said in a statement.
"We strongly condemn atrocities against the civilian population and reinforce our solidarity with the Syrian people.
"As the Assad regime`s violence against innocent civilians escalates, we will not lose sight of the men, women, and children whose lives are being so brutally cut short," she said.
"We call on all responsible actors in Syria to speak out against the perpetration of unlawful killings against any group, regardless of faith or ethnicity.
"Those responsible for serious violations of international humanitarian law and serious violations and abuses of human rights law must be held accountable," Psaki demanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP