Apparent deal on Syria resolution: UN diplomats
United Nations: Diplomats at the United Nations say the five permanent members of the divided UN Security Council appear to have reached agreement on a resolution to require Syria to dismantle its chemical weapons stockpiles.
Their comments on Thursday came a day after Russia`s deputy foreign minister said negotiators had overcome a major hurdle and agreed that the text of the resolution would include a reference to Chapter 7 of the UN Charter, which allows for military and nonmilitary actions to promote peace and security.
The five veto-wielding members of the Security Council have been discussing for weeks what to include in a new resolution requiring that Syria`s chemical weapons stockpile be secured and dismantled.
The US and Russia had been at odds on how to enforce the resolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog