Apple chief Steve Jobs to go on medical leave
New York: Apple`s iconic chief Steve Jobs, a
survivor of pancreatic cancer, on Monday said he would be going on
medical leave of absence.
"At my request, the board of directors has granted me a
medical leave of absence so I can focus on my health. I will
continue as CEO and be involved in major strategic decisions
for the company," Jobs said in an e-mail to Apple employees.
This is the second time in as many years that Jobs, the
architect behind Apple`s success, is going on leave on health
56-year-old Jobs, the brain behind blockbuster products
such as iPods, iPhones and iPads, was on medical leave in
early 2009. Suffering from pancreatic cancer, he had a liver
transplant during the period.
"I love Apple so much and hope to be back as soon as I
can. In the meantime, my family and I would deeply appreciate
respect for our privacy," Jobs said.
In his absence, Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cooks
will be responsible for the company`s day-to-day operations.
"I have great confidence that Tim and the rest of the
executive management team will do a terrific job executing the
exciting plans we have in place for 2011," Jobs said.
One of the co-founders of Apple, Jobs was pushed out of
the company in 1985. He made a comeback in 1997 and under his
leadership, Apple has since become one of the most well-known
brands as well as the most-valued technology company in the
world, in terms of market capitalisation.
In a recent regulatory filing, Apple had said it
maintains a comprehensive succession plan throughout the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Here's what Jacqueline Fernandez feels about Salman Khan-Iulia Vantur marriage! Details inside
- Buying your dream home in Gurgaon to get cheaper; circle rates might be slashed
- Shame! This man approached UP Police to register complaint, was forced to polish cops' shoes instead – Watch
- Mood swings! What's on Parineeti Chopra's mind?
- WATCH: IPL 2016 final highlights: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs SunRisers Hyderabad