Apple chief Steve Jobs to go on medical leave
New York: Apple`s iconic chief Steve Jobs, a
survivor of pancreatic cancer, on Monday said he would be going on
medical leave of absence.
"At my request, the board of directors has granted me a
medical leave of absence so I can focus on my health. I will
continue as CEO and be involved in major strategic decisions
for the company," Jobs said in an e-mail to Apple employees.
This is the second time in as many years that Jobs, the
architect behind Apple`s success, is going on leave on health
56-year-old Jobs, the brain behind blockbuster products
such as iPods, iPhones and iPads, was on medical leave in
early 2009. Suffering from pancreatic cancer, he had a liver
transplant during the period.
"I love Apple so much and hope to be back as soon as I
can. In the meantime, my family and I would deeply appreciate
respect for our privacy," Jobs said.
In his absence, Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cooks
will be responsible for the company`s day-to-day operations.
"I have great confidence that Tim and the rest of the
executive management team will do a terrific job executing the
exciting plans we have in place for 2011," Jobs said.
One of the co-founders of Apple, Jobs was pushed out of
the company in 1985. He made a comeback in 1997 and under his
leadership, Apple has since become one of the most well-known
brands as well as the most-valued technology company in the
world, in terms of market capitalisation.
In a recent regulatory filing, Apple had said it
maintains a comprehensive succession plan throughout the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation