Aquino asserts control over typhoon relief effort
Manila: Philippine President Benigno Aquino has moved to assert himself as disaster manager-in-chief after criticism of his response to a devastating super typhoon, with the calamity set to become the defining event of his presidency.
Aquino toured the worst-hit towns and cities yesterday and announced that he would set up base in the region until he was "satisfied" that the relief operation was running as effectively as it should.
He also made some thinly veiled criticisms of local officials, suggesting they had been under-prepared and provided inaccurate data which had hampered the relief effort.
"As president, I should not show my anger. No matter how irritated I am," he said.
Aquino, who was elected in a landslide in 2010, has proved to be a popular president, overseeing a significant economic upturn and striking a peace deal with Muslim rebels waging a long-running separatist struggle in the southern region of Mindanao.
But in recent months, his image has taken something of a hit as public anger has grown over a government corruption scandal.
At the end of October, he felt compelled to go on national television and publicly declare he was "not a thief" as he defended hundreds of millions of dollars in government spending that has come under scrutiny.
Typhoon Haiyan was always going to be a major test, but the unprecedented ferocity of the storm was overwhelming and exacerbated by a five-metre (16-foot) storm surge that sent tsunami-like waves crashing into coastal cities, towns and villages.
As the scale of the destruction became apparent, Aquino was initially criticised for what was seen as some insensitive quibbling over the likely death toll.
His initial estimate of 2,500 now appears unduly optimistic with the number of confirmed dead standing at almost 4,000, with another 1,600 missing and many remote areas still to be properly assessed.
At the same time, the delay of several days in getting the official relief programme up and running was taken as a lack of preparedness, and that played badly with the gruesome video footage coming out of the worst-hit zones.
"The knee-jerk reaction is to blame the president," said Rene de Castro, a political science professor at De La Salle University in Manila.
"But I don`t know that anybody else in his position would have been able to handle a disaster of this magnitude."
Aquino`s decision to move down to the impacted region was clearly aimed at demonstrating a "hands-on" appreciation of the situation, and today he toured other devastated towns where he was filmed helping out at distribution centres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Multiple deaths reported in Munich shopping centre shooting, police operation underway
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg seals deal as Lewis Hamilton crashes out in Friday Practice
- Tour de France: Chris Froome extends lead despite crash as Romain Bardet wins stage
- Missing IAF plane: Parrikar likely to visit Chennai tomorrow
- SHOCKING: FC Goa co-owners Dempo, Salgaocar 'quit' Indian Super League