Khartoum: The head of the controversial Arab
League observer mission to Syria expressed satisfaction with
the monitors` effort on Thursday, even as a deadly regime crackdown
on dissent continues.
"I swear by God, I am fully satisfied with myself and
with all those on the mission in Syria," Sudanese General
Mohammed Ahmed Mustafa al-Dabi told reporters on a brief
return to his homeland.
"There is a campaign against the mission and against the
head of the mission and there are some allegations against it,
but all of this is untrue," Dabi said, adding critics did not
understand the observers` role.
The 165 monitors were deployed in December after Syria
agreed to an Arab League plan for a halt to the violence, for
prisoners to be freed, tanks withdrawn from towns and on the
free movement of observers and foreign media.
None of the clauses in the protocol was respected.
The Arab League said on Saturday it was suspending its
mission because of an upsurge in violence.
Earlier last week the six Gulf Arab states announced they
would withdraw their observers because "the bloodshed and
killings there continue (and after) the Syrian regime did not
comply with implementing the Arab League decisions."
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s battle to crush an
unprecedented revolt has left more than 6,000 people dead
since mid-March, according to estimates of human rights
Dabi called it "war" and said he had seen "some evidence
He declined comment on talks at the United Nations, which
moved closer to agreement on action to halt the regime`s
Arab ministers will meet February 11 to review the
suspended observer mission to Syria.