Arab League recognises new Syrian coalition group
Cairo: The Arab League (AL) Monday recognised the newly-formed Syrian National Coalition for Opposition and Revolutionary Forces as the "representative of the aspirations of Syrian people", said Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani.
He was speaking after a meeting of the Arab foreign ministers.
On Monday, foreign ministers of Arab countries gathered at the AL headquarters in Cairo for a ministerial meeting at night, with current developments of the Syrian issue and the Palestinian UN bid on the top of their agenda, Xinhua reported.
Ahead of the meet, the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council ( GCC) also recognised the new Syrian opposition coalition as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
The new Syrian coalition was established after a formal agreement was signed Sunday evening in Doha by Moaz al- Khatib, the newly-elected head of the united entity, and George Sabra, the new head of major opposition group the Syrian National Council (SNC).
The GCC, founded in 1981, consists of six Gulf countries -- Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Oman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues