Cairo: Cairo airport officials on Saturday said several Arab nations have organised additional flights to take their nationals and families of diplomats out of Egypt because of the violence and unrest roiling the country.
The officials said Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Lebanon and Jordan are the countries that have arranged flights out.
They also said as many as 3,000 people have been stranded at the airport on Saturday, at least half of whom were travellers whose flights arrived after the government imposed curfew.
The other half included Egyptians and foreigners who had been scrambling to flee the country only to find that several airlines had either cancelled, delayed or suspended their flights.
First Published: Sunday, January 30, 2011, 08:47