Arab world concerned by Syria-Iraq tensions
Cairo: Ahead of the upcoming Arab League Council session, a tripartite meeting between top officials of Syria, Iraq and the Arab League has been held to ease tensions between Damascus and Baghdad, following a series of bombings blamed on Syria-based operatives.
The meeting was mediated by the Arab League Secretary-General Amr Moussa who stressed the importance of good relations between Baghdad and Damascus. Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem and his Iraqi counterpart Hoshyar Zebari also attended the meeting.
Moussa made it clear that the League was very keen on containing the situation between the two sisterly countries and it will spare no effort to attain this goal.
"The league will maintain its good offices in coordination with all parties concerned, mainly the Turkish mediation, in order to contain this crisis," he said.
The tensions between the two countries erupted after Baghdad accused Damascus of funding and training the perpetrators of a series of deadly bomb attacks, which occurred last month leaving almost thousand civilians dead and injured.
Iraq alleged that the reigning Baath Party in Syria, which was ruling Iraq before the US-led invasion, is behind last month`s attack.
Another meeting will be held shortly among the Arab Foreign Ministers which will also include Moussa, and Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics