Arabian al Qaeda`s number two confirmed dead: AQAP
Dubai: A Saudi second-in-command of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) was killed in a US drone attack in Yemen, AQAP said on Wednesday.
Said al-Shehri was described by US officials as one of the most important al Qaeda-linked militants to be released from the Guantanamo detention facility in Cuba, where he was taken in January 2002 after Pakistan handed him to US authorities.
He went on to become AQAP`s second-in-command.
In January, Yemeni authorities said he had died after suffering from injuries in an operation by Yemeni security forces on November 28, 2012, in the northern province of Saada.
Senior AQAP official Ibrahim al Rubaish in a video statement posted online he had been killed in a drone attack, but did not say when, according to SITE, a US based monitoring website.
"I present my condolences to all the Mujahideen on the martyrdom of Said al-Shehri who was killed in a US drone attack," said Rubaish.
AQAP, which has planned attacks on international targets including airliners, has been described by Washington, as perhaps al Qaeda`s most dangerous and innovative affiliate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan