Arabs to meet on Syria failure to honour peace plan
Damascus: The Arab League on Sunday called an
emergency meeting on Syria`s failure to implement its peace
plan, as forces reportedly killed at least 10 demonstrators
after prayers on one of Islam`s holiest days.
The announcement that Arab foreign ministers would hold
the gathering came on the fourth straight day of deadly
violence since Syria agreed to the League`s peace blueprint
aimed at ending eight months of bloodshed.
The Arab League said a meeting was called for next
Saturday because of "the continuation of violence and because
the Syrian government did not implement its commitments in the
Arab plan to resolve the Syrian crisis."
Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassem al-Thani
has said "if Syria does not respect its commitments, the
(Arab) ministerial committee will meet again and take the
A human rights group said that security forces killed at
least 10 civilians as anti-regime demonstrations were staged
across Syria today, the first day of the Eid al-Adha feast
marking the end of the hajj pilgrimage.
French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said the killings
made it clear that President Bashar al-Assad`s regime had no
intention of ending its bloody bid to crush dissent.
Eight of the civilians were killed in Homs, the
flashpoint central city where protests against Assad`s rule
were held in most districts despite a weeks-long military
Most of the deaths occurred in the Baba Amro
neighbourhood of Homs, where clashes have raged for days, the
Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said in a statement
received in Nicosia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach