Arafat widow seeks French `assassination` probe
Paris: The widow of Yasser Arafat on Tuesday formally asked for a French investigation into his death, bringing a complaint of assassination weeks after raising new suspicions that the former Palestinian leader was poisoned before his 2004 death in a French military hospital.
Earlier this month, Palestinian authorities gave final approval for Arafat`s body to be exhumed.
In recent tests of Arafat`s belongings requested by his widow and the Arab satellite network Al-Jazeera, a Swiss lab detected elevated traces of polonium-210 a rare and highly lethal substance but said the findings were inconclusive and that Arafat`s bones would have to be tested. And questions remain about the results of any additional tests after so long.
French doctors have said Arafat died of a massive stroke and had suffered from a blood condition.
A French judge will still have to decide whether to accept the complaint also brought on behalf of Suha Arafat`s daughter and open an investigation. According to a statement from the family`s French lawyer, Pierre-Olivier Sur, today`s request was intended to "establish the truth in honour of their husband and father."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened