Arafat`s remains exhumed for poison test, reburied
West Bank: In what could provide significant clues to a yet unsolved political mystery involving the death of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, the late icon’s tomb was excavated on Tuesday and after the tests uncermoniously buried.
An international team of scientists involving specialists from Russia, Switzerland and France were present at the site along with Tawfiq Tirawi - the head of the Palestinian committee investigating Arafat`s death.
The entire process of exhumation was carried out in a strict secrecy with Tawfiq Tirawi not allowing any journalist to be presentat the spot, reported BBC.
The remains were taken from Arafat`s mausoleum and moved to a mosque near the tomb in the Palestinian presidency`s Ramallah headquarters. There the Palestinian doctors would collect samples from the bones.
The international experts were to take samples of Arafat’s remains which would then be tested for the presence of a poisonous radioactive substance called Polonium- 210.
The tests could take months, the Palestinian investigators had said.
After the international specials having collected the samples, it was said that the iconic Palestinian leader’s remains will be reburied with full military honours.
But just six hours after his exhumation, Arafat was reburied without any military honours. The ceremonies was reportedly cancelled as it was decided that samples removed from the coffin did not require a reburial.
The Palestinian authorities’ decision to exhume Arafat’s remains and start an investigation came when earlier this year, Swiss experts tested Arafat`s personal belongings provided his widow Suha, and detected Polonium 210 - a lethal radioactive substance.
Arafat, who led the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) for 35 years, died in November 2004, a month after suddenly falling ill, and Palestinian officials have insisted he was poisoned by Israel but Tel Aviv has denied such allegations.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city