Are Nelson Mandela’s ``funeral rights`` sold?
Johannesburg: Mandla Mandela’s wife has won her court bid to force him to reveal whether or not he sold the television rights to his grandfather and former South African president Nelson Mandela’s funeral.
Mthatha High Court Judge Pilisa Mnqandi granted Thando Mandela-Mabunu’s appeal to force her estranged husband to reveal to her whether he had sold the rights to the funeral of Mandela, and if so, for how much within 10 days.
The ruling is the latest development in the couple’s bitter divorce battle.
She has already had Mandela’s cattle attached, half his bank accounts frozen, two of his marriages annulled and laid criminal charges against him.
Her lawyer, Wesley Hayes, said that although his client was entitled to a share of any money paid for the funeral rights, she did not “personally want it”.
Mandla Mandela will also appear in a Mthatha district court on charges of bigamy levied by Mabunu-Mandela after he took KwaZulu-Natal beauty Mbalenhle Makhathini as wife number three – in defiance of a court order.
Regional national prosecuting authority spokesperson Luxolo Tyali said an administrative hassle between police and prosecutors has led to confusion about whether a warrant for his arrest had been issued.
Mandela’s divorce lawyer, Bertus Preller, reportedly confirmed the warrant’s existence.
Mandela’s love life has been far from smooth as his estranged wife, who keeps close track on developments, has thwarted his efforts to take additional customary wives since their divorce proceedings began in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song