Argentina refuses to apologise for Olympic advert
Buenos Aires: Argentina’s Foreign Minister Héctor Timerman has refused to apologise for the advert that shows Olympic hopeful Fernando Zylberberg training on “Argentine soil” in the Falkland Islands.
He rather launched an attack on UK Defence Secretary Phillip Hammond, saying, “Mr Hammond should know that the world is safer when we use our creativity, rather than bomb civilians in sovereign countries.”
The advert shows Zylberberg, an Argentine hockey player, preparing in Stanley for the upcoming Olympics, followed by a slogan “To compete on English soil, we train on Argentine soil”.
Despite a request from WPP, the British agency, of pulling the advert, to the Argentinean Young & Rubicam, responsible for creating the advert, the Argentine government has said that they will continue to broadcast it.
According to The Telegraph, Timerman, who took Argentina’s sovereignty claim to the Falklands to the UN, has criticised Britain’s “militarisation” of the South Atlantic, and added that Hammond is an “adversary of whom to be fearful”.
“I imagine that, since he assumed his role as Defence Secretary, Mr Hammond has been so busy controlling the many British soldiers at war that he has not had time to read Margaret Atwood, born in one of his,” he said.
Martín Mercado, creative director of Y&R Argentina, claimed that now the agency cannot ask for the advert to be pulled as it belonged to the Argentine government.
“The idea was that an Argentine athlete went to train on what, for us, is Argentine soil,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested