Argentina`s Jorge Mario Bergoglio elected as Pope
Vatican City: As white smoke billowed out of the Sistine Chapel’s chimney on Wednesday, 115 cardinals from around the globe elected a new Pope from Argentina, Jorge Mario Bergoglio.
The 76-year-old new Pope will be known as Francis I and he is the first Pope from South America.
Addressing the cheering crowd outside the Sistine Chapel, Pope Francis blessed the people saying, "Thanks you for your warm acceptance."
Pope Francis, in his first words after election, says his fellow cardinals "went to the end of the world" to find a new Pope.
Tens of thousands of people who braved cold rain to watch the smokestack atop the Sistine Chapel jumped in joy when white smoke poured out with many shouting "Habemus Papam!" or "We have a pope!". As the bells of St. Peter`s Basilica and churches across Rome pealed.
In the first round on the second day of voting to elect a new Pope, the College of Cardinals had failed to elect a Pontiff and black smoke had emerged from the chimney.
The conclave was called after Pope Benedict XVI resigned last month, throwing the church into turmoil and exposing deep divisions among cardinals tasked with finding a manager to clean up a corrupt Vatican bureaucracy as well as a pastor who can revive Catholicism in a time of growing secularism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation