Argentina`s Jorge Mario Bergoglio elected as Pope
Vatican City: As white smoke billowed out of the Sistine Chapel’s chimney on Wednesday, 115 cardinals from around the globe elected a new Pope from Argentina, Jorge Mario Bergoglio.
The 76-year-old new Pope will be known as Francis I and he is the first Pope from South America.
Addressing the cheering crowd outside the Sistine Chapel, Pope Francis blessed the people saying, "Thanks you for your warm acceptance."
Pope Francis, in his first words after election, says his fellow cardinals "went to the end of the world" to find a new Pope.
Tens of thousands of people who braved cold rain to watch the smokestack atop the Sistine Chapel jumped in joy when white smoke poured out with many shouting "Habemus Papam!" or "We have a pope!". As the bells of St. Peter`s Basilica and churches across Rome pealed.
In the first round on the second day of voting to elect a new Pope, the College of Cardinals had failed to elect a Pontiff and black smoke had emerged from the chimney.
The conclave was called after Pope Benedict XVI resigned last month, throwing the church into turmoil and exposing deep divisions among cardinals tasked with finding a manager to clean up a corrupt Vatican bureaucracy as well as a pastor who can revive Catholicism in a time of growing secularism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?