Argentine House of Deputies approves gay marriage
Buenos Aires: Gay marriage is a big step closer to becoming law in Argentina.
The House of Deputies approved same-sex marriage by an ample margin on Wednesday and sent the legislation for consideration in the Senate. President Cristina Fernandez has promised not to veto the measure if it reaches her desk.
Gay rights activist Esteban Paulon calls it historic - the first time a gay marriage initiative has been debated in a national legislature in Latin America.
Five gay and lesbian couples already have been married by Argentine judges who say the country`s Constitution supports freedom of choice for couples. But other judges have overturned some of those marriages as illegal.
The Roman Catholic Church strongly opposes the legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!