Argentine Prez renews claims on oil-rich Falkland Islands
Buenos Aires: Argentine President Cristina Kirchner proposed to "universalize" her country`s claims over the potentially oil-rich Falkland Islands, but vowed not to resort to military force.
Kirchner spoke Friday in the southern city of Ushuaia at a ceremony marking the 28th anniversary of the war between Argentina and Britain in 1982 over the archipelago.
Britain successfully reclaimed the south Atlantic Ocean islands -- known in Argentina as the Malvinas -- following an Argentine military invasion, but Buenos Aires has never abandoned its ownership claim.
"The Falklands claim transcends Argentina. It is a paradigm that goes beyond the Malvinas. It must be a national issue but also a universal example of the world, the society in which we live," Kirchner said at the event in the memory of Argentina`s 649 soldiers who died in the 74 days of fighting.
Argentina has ratcheted up it claims of sovereignty over the archipelago after a British firm began drilling for oil there in February.
Kirchner said Great Britain "does not respect" UN resolutions asking the two countries to start negotiations over the issue.
Britain has occupied the islands since 1833 and has said there is nothing to discus regarding sovereignty because the 3,000-odd islanders wish to remain British.
Various events were held throughout Argentina Friday in memory of those killed in the Falklands War.
In Buenos Aires, about 500 people protested before the British Embassy, calling for the ambassador to recognize the islands as Argentine territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you