Armed clashes set Libya``s Tripoli ablaze
Tripoli: A huge fire at an oil depot in Libya`s capital Tripoli set part of the city ablaze Monday after being hit by warring militia`s rocket attacks.
The fire, which started Sunday after heavy bombings by the rival militias, raged through the Bregal oil depot and ignited two fuel tanks. According to the interior ministry, the first fuel tank on fire contains some six million litres of oil, Xinhua reported.
Witnesses said that dark columns of smoke could be seen miles away, and that Islamist fighters and pro-secular militia were still vying for Tripoli`s international airport nearby despite the fire.
The Libyan government has ordered all citizens within a three km radius of the oil depot to evacuate immediately. It called on the militias for ceasefire immediately to avoid a "humanitarian and environmental disaster".
Firefighters were battling to put out the fire, but constant crossfire between the militants and spreading fire forced them to leave the area.
The recent battle between Islamist fighters and pro-secular militia around Tripoli International Airport has killed at least 97 people and wounded over 400, paralysing most of the air traffic in the country.
Although rounds of negotiation have been held and a truce was reached earlier this month, the rival groups were still combating in the city.
China, France, Germany, Netherlands, Britain and the United States have already told their citizens to leave Libya due to the severe security conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark