Armed Russian guards `storm` Arctic ship: Greenpeace
Moscow: Armed Russian officers stormed on Thursday a Greenpeace vessel that is in the Arctic to protest oil exploration by Russian gas giant Gazprom, the environmental group said.
"People armed with machine guns have descended on to the Greenpeace icebreaker Arctic Sunrise from a helicopter via ropes," Greenpeace said in a statement.
On the Twitter page of the Dutch-flagged Arctic Sunrise, activists said that the men, apparently the Russian coastguard are "onboard with guns. They are breaking into the comms rooms now."
Most of the crew of the Arctic Sunrise ship has been ordered at gunpoint to the upper deck, Greenpeace added on the Russian Twitter blog.
Greenpeace says the authorities are holding two activists on thge Dutch, from Switzerland and from Finland, on the ship of the Coast Guard for the second day without an explanation, after arresting them for attempting to scale the oil platform Prirazlomnaya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Apple cheers 2016 Pride celebration with a special rainbow Apple Watch!
- Heavy rainfall expected in Vidarbha, Telangana, Andhra; Monsoon set to enter Delhi, Punjab, Haryana
- India's spectrum proceeds seen way below target at $10-$12 bn: HSBC
- England's Roy Hodgson dismisses report of Wayne Rooney-Jamie Vardy rift
- China, Russia fed up with US hegemony: Chinese daily