Armed Russian guards `storm` Arctic ship: Greenpeace
Moscow: Armed Russian officers stormed on Thursday a Greenpeace vessel that is in the Arctic to protest oil exploration by Russian gas giant Gazprom, the environmental group said.
"People armed with machine guns have descended on to the Greenpeace icebreaker Arctic Sunrise from a helicopter via ropes," Greenpeace said in a statement.
On the Twitter page of the Dutch-flagged Arctic Sunrise, activists said that the men, apparently the Russian coastguard are "onboard with guns. They are breaking into the comms rooms now."
Most of the crew of the Arctic Sunrise ship has been ordered at gunpoint to the upper deck, Greenpeace added on the Russian Twitter blog.
Greenpeace says the authorities are holding two activists on thge Dutch, from Switzerland and from Finland, on the ship of the Coast Guard for the second day without an explanation, after arresting them for attempting to scale the oil platform Prirazlomnaya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened