Armed Russian guards `storm` Arctic ship: Greenpeace
Moscow: Armed Russian officers stormed on Thursday a Greenpeace vessel that is in the Arctic to protest oil exploration by Russian gas giant Gazprom, the environmental group said.
"People armed with machine guns have descended on to the Greenpeace icebreaker Arctic Sunrise from a helicopter via ropes," Greenpeace said in a statement.
On the Twitter page of the Dutch-flagged Arctic Sunrise, activists said that the men, apparently the Russian coastguard are "onboard with guns. They are breaking into the comms rooms now."
Most of the crew of the Arctic Sunrise ship has been ordered at gunpoint to the upper deck, Greenpeace added on the Russian Twitter blog.
Greenpeace says the authorities are holding two activists on thge Dutch, from Switzerland and from Finland, on the ship of the Coast Guard for the second day without an explanation, after arresting them for attempting to scale the oil platform Prirazlomnaya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city