Armed tribesmen `kidnap US couple` in Yemen
Sana’a: Armed Yemeni tribesmen kidnapped two American tourists and their driver on Monday in a bid to secure the release of a jailed tribesman, sources said as the United States ruled out terrorism.
The couple were snatched near the village of Hajara, which is famed for its historic mountaintop buildings, in a region 70 kilometres (45 miles) west of the Yemeni capital, a tribal source said.
From there, the armed men belonging to the Al-Hima tribe drove them to Hamra village, a man who identified himself as the captured Yemeni driver, Ali al-Arashi, said when reached on his mobile telephone.
The kidnappers were "calling for the release of a fellow tribesman held by authorities in Sana’a," Arashi said, adding the American pair was being treated well "in accordance with tribal hospitality”.
The US embassy confirmed the abduction of two American citizens, which a State Department spokesman in Washington said was "not believed to be terrorism related”.
"We can confirm that two American citizens were kidnapped in Yemen today," the spokesman said on Monday.
"The regional security office and the consulate are working together with Yemeni authorities to release them," he added without giving further details.
US State Department spokesman Philip Crowley said later that the kidnappings were "not believed to be terrorism related”.
Yemen`s powerful tribes often kidnap foreigners for use as bargaining chips in disputes with the central government. Of about 200 foreigners seized in Yemen over the past decade, almost all have been released unharmed.
"We have every reason to believe this is one of those cases," Crowley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued