Armed tribesmen `kidnap US couple` in Yemen
Sana’a: Armed Yemeni tribesmen kidnapped two American tourists and their driver on Monday in a bid to secure the release of a jailed tribesman, sources said as the United States ruled out terrorism.
The couple were snatched near the village of Hajara, which is famed for its historic mountaintop buildings, in a region 70 kilometres (45 miles) west of the Yemeni capital, a tribal source said.
From there, the armed men belonging to the Al-Hima tribe drove them to Hamra village, a man who identified himself as the captured Yemeni driver, Ali al-Arashi, said when reached on his mobile telephone.
The kidnappers were "calling for the release of a fellow tribesman held by authorities in Sana’a," Arashi said, adding the American pair was being treated well "in accordance with tribal hospitality”.
The US embassy confirmed the abduction of two American citizens, which a State Department spokesman in Washington said was "not believed to be terrorism related”.
"We can confirm that two American citizens were kidnapped in Yemen today," the spokesman said on Monday.
"The regional security office and the consulate are working together with Yemeni authorities to release them," he added without giving further details.
US State Department spokesman Philip Crowley said later that the kidnappings were "not believed to be terrorism related”.
Yemen`s powerful tribes often kidnap foreigners for use as bargaining chips in disputes with the central government. Of about 200 foreigners seized in Yemen over the past decade, almost all have been released unharmed.
"We have every reason to believe this is one of those cases," Crowley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray