Armenia praises US lawmakers` vote on `genocide`
Moscow: Welcoming the vote by US Congress
to brand the killing of Armenians by Ottoman forces during
World War I as "genocide," Armenia today said it was an
important step forward for human rights.
"We highly appreciate the decision by the Committee on
Foreign Affairs of the United States House of Representatives
to adopt Resolution 252 on the recognition of the Armenian
genocide," Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian said in
The Foreign Affairs Committee of the US House of
Representatives voted yesterday 23 to 22 in support of the
resolution following almost six hours of heated debate.
"This is further proof of the devotion of the American
people to universal human values and is an important step
toward the prevention of crimes against humanity," the Foreign
Minister was quoted as saying by RIA Novosti.
The non-binding resolution calls on President Barack
Obama to ensure that US foreign policy reflects an
understanding of the "genocide" and to label the mass killings
as such in his annual statement on the issue.
On the eve of the vote, the Obama administration urged
the committee not to approve the resolution, fearing it could
alienate Washington`s NATO ally Turkey, whose help the White
House considers invaluable for solving issues in West Asia and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar