Armenian President dissolves government
Moscow: Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan Thursday signed a decree to dissolve government following the election of a new parliament. The dissolution followed the first session of the newly-elected parliament earlier in the day, Armenian media reported.
The proposal for the cabinet`s resignation was submitted to the president by Prime Minister Tigran Sarkisyan in line with the country`s Constitution which stipulates formation of a new government after parliamentary elections.
Eight parties and one party alliance ran in Armenia`s May 6 parliamentary elections, with the Republican Party of Armenia eventually winning by gaining 44.05 percent of the vote. It won majority of the seats in the country`s 131-seat parliament.
The Armenian president has now 10 days to name the new prime minister and endorse other new ministers. The current cabinet will continue in a caretaker role until then.
Opposition leaders had contested the results of the May 6 elections and submitted a motion with the Supreme Court of Armenia, but the court rejected it Thursday ruling that the results were fair.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!