Arming Syrian rebels could help reach peace: Qatar
Doha: Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassem al-Thani called on Saturday for arms deliveries to the Syrian rebels to create a military balance that could help in forging peace.
A peaceful end "cannot be reached unless a balance on the ground is achieved, in order to force the regime to sit down to talks," he told ministers gathering in Doha.
"Getting arms and using them could be the only way to achieve peace," he added.
Foreign ministers of governments that support the Syrian opposition held talks in Qatar on Saturday on boosting their assistance after rebels hailed recent deliveries of new types of weaponry.
Ahead of the talks, Louay Muqdad, a spokesman for the rebel Free Syria Army, told AFP it had new types of weaponry that could give it the edge in the 27-month conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!