Arming Syrian rebels could help reach peace: Qatar
Doha: Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassem al-Thani called on Saturday for arms deliveries to the Syrian rebels to create a military balance that could help in forging peace.
A peaceful end "cannot be reached unless a balance on the ground is achieved, in order to force the regime to sit down to talks," he told ministers gathering in Doha.
"Getting arms and using them could be the only way to achieve peace," he added.
Foreign ministers of governments that support the Syrian opposition held talks in Qatar on Saturday on boosting their assistance after rebels hailed recent deliveries of new types of weaponry.
Ahead of the talks, Louay Muqdad, a spokesman for the rebel Free Syria Army, told AFP it had new types of weaponry that could give it the edge in the 27-month conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble