Army bomb disposal experts called to UK mosque
London: British Army bomb disposal experts have been called to a mosque in the West Midlands region of England after a "suspicious package" was found on the grounds.
Local residents near Aisha Mosque in Walsall had been evacuated during the bomb scare early Sunday morning but are now being allowed back home.
The police, however, said it had still not been established what the device exactly was.
"The force are taking this extremely seriously. We`ve launched a full investigation and what`s key to this is the public helping us to understand why the item was in the area," Superintendent Keith Fraser of West Midlands police said.
"The item is currently being examined and we are still waiting to identify exactly what it is that we have found.
"It was our first priority to make sure the area was safe early on and evacuated homes on a purely precautionary measure.
"We will open the mosque up later to reassure residents and allow worshippers to return," he added.
The bomb disposal experts had been dispatched to Rutter Street Saturday night following the discovery of a suspicious package on the grounds of the Aisha Mosque.
The item was taken inside the building by a member of the public before emergency services arrived and cordoned off the area around the building.
They had then ordered the evacuation of around 39 homes surrounding the mosque and are still working on establishing whether or not the package contained an explosive device.
There have been at least 10 attacks on mosques across Britain in recent months.
The spike in these suspected Islamophobic incidents is thought to be a backlash to the murder of British soldier Lee Rigby on the streets of Woolwich in south-east London last month.
An Islamic centre in Muswell Hill was razed to the ground and a mosque in Grimsby escaped a similar fate after an alleged firebombing soon after the soldier`s killing on May 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune