Army chief says ‘room for all in Egypt’ as 36 killed in attempted prison break
Zee Media Bureau
Cairo: Egyptian military chief, Gen Abdul Fattah al-Sisi, has reportedly called for restraint and urged deposed president Mohamed Morsi supporters that “there is room for everyone” in the country even as at least 36 Muslim Brotherhood prisoners were killed on late Sunday night while attempting to escape jail.
Gen Sisi further said that “we are keen to save every drop of Egyptian blood” and that “confrontation will not be in the interest of those who wish to confront us, because we are determined to protect Egypt and its people," as per a CNN report.
The prisoners were killed after taking a police officer hostage while being transferred in a police vehicle to Abu Zaabal prison near Cairo, Al-Jazeera news reported.
It said the men had been arrested in the clear out of Cairo`s Al-Fateh mosque yesterday.
However, the state-run MENA news agency reported that "unknown gunmen" had tried to aid the prisoners.
The gunmen exchanged fire with guards of the trucks carrying over 600 people detained in street violence between security forces and supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi, the agency said.
It described the detainees and the gunmen as belonging to the Muslim Brotherhood.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly