Army Chief visits naval base, ship in Shanghai
Beijing: Army Chief General Bikram Singh today visited a naval base and a naval ship in Shanghai on the final day of his China visit during which he interacted with the People`s Liberation Army top brass to improve ties between the two militaries.
General Singh visited the naval base, one of the biggest of PLA`s Navy (PLAN) and interacted with local commanders, officials said.
He later visited a newly built corvette class naval ship of PLAN before leaving for home concluding his five-day China trip.
During his visit to Beijing, Singh held talks with PLA Chief of Staff General Fang Fenghui on improving relations between the two militaries.
They discussed a host of issues, including the implementation of the Border Defence Cooperation Agreement (BDCA) at the ground level to avert incidents like in the Depsang Valley in Ladakh last year when the presence of Chinese troops resulted in a standoff.
The two sides signed the BDCA last year laying out a standard operation procedures for troops aggressively patrolling disputed borders.
Fang has called for strengthening border control to prevent disruptions to the broader military-to-military relationship and bilateral ties.
Singh, who is the Chairman of the joint Chiefs of Staff Committee, also held talks with Vice Chairman of China`s Central Military Commission General Fan Changlong, Vice President Li Yuanchao and Vice Executive Foreign Minister Zhang Yesui.
Singh`s visit came immediately after Vice President Hamid Ansari`s visit to Beijing last week to take part in the 60th?anniversary of Panchsheel celebrations.
Xi is expected to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the sidelines of the BRICS summit in Brazil this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal