Army kills Gaza militants entering Israel by sea
Jerusalem: Israeli forces killed four Palestinian militants on Tuesday who landed on a beach in southern Israel a short distance from the Gaza Strip and attacked a military base, the army said.
"A number of terrorists came out of the ocean and attacked the base with Kalashnikov rifles and hand grenades," spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner said.
Soldiers at the base, near the Zikim kibbutz, responded. Ground troops killed two of the attackers, air raids a third and naval forces the fourth, Lerner said.
One soldier was lightly wounded, he added.
The Ezzedine Al-Qassam Brigades, the armed wing of the Islamist group Hamas, reported the attack. It said nothing of losses among its own forces but claimed heavy Israeli casualties.
The attack came as Israel waged an aerial campaign against militants in Gaza, who were firing rockets into southern Israel.
Lerner said some 120 rockets had hit Israel, with 23 intercepted. Most of the rest fell on open ground and causing no damage or casualties, he said.
In addition to the dead militants at Zikim, Israeli air strikes against at least 150 targets inside Gaza killed 15 people on Tuesday, medics said, including children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations