Army kills Gaza militants entering Israel by sea
Jerusalem: Israeli forces killed four Palestinian militants on Tuesday who landed on a beach in southern Israel a short distance from the Gaza Strip and attacked a military base, the army said.
"A number of terrorists came out of the ocean and attacked the base with Kalashnikov rifles and hand grenades," spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner said.
Soldiers at the base, near the Zikim kibbutz, responded. Ground troops killed two of the attackers, air raids a third and naval forces the fourth, Lerner said.
One soldier was lightly wounded, he added.
The Ezzedine Al-Qassam Brigades, the armed wing of the Islamist group Hamas, reported the attack. It said nothing of losses among its own forces but claimed heavy Israeli casualties.
The attack came as Israel waged an aerial campaign against militants in Gaza, who were firing rockets into southern Israel.
Lerner said some 120 rockets had hit Israel, with 23 intercepted. Most of the rest fell on open ground and causing no damage or casualties, he said.
In addition to the dead militants at Zikim, Israeli air strikes against at least 150 targets inside Gaza killed 15 people on Tuesday, medics said, including children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj