Army kills Gaza militants entering Israel by sea
Jerusalem: Israeli forces killed four Palestinian militants on Tuesday who landed on a beach in southern Israel a short distance from the Gaza Strip and attacked a military base, the army said.
"A number of terrorists came out of the ocean and attacked the base with Kalashnikov rifles and hand grenades," spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner said.
Soldiers at the base, near the Zikim kibbutz, responded. Ground troops killed two of the attackers, air raids a third and naval forces the fourth, Lerner said.
One soldier was lightly wounded, he added.
The Ezzedine Al-Qassam Brigades, the armed wing of the Islamist group Hamas, reported the attack. It said nothing of losses among its own forces but claimed heavy Israeli casualties.
The attack came as Israel waged an aerial campaign against militants in Gaza, who were firing rockets into southern Israel.
Lerner said some 120 rockets had hit Israel, with 23 intercepted. Most of the rest fell on open ground and causing no damage or casualties, he said.
In addition to the dead militants at Zikim, Israeli air strikes against at least 150 targets inside Gaza killed 15 people on Tuesday, medics said, including children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad