Cairo: At least seven militants were killed and 67 others arrested during raids by Egyptian Army in the restive North Sinai governorate, an army official said today.
The raids were carried out on November 20-21, Army spokesperson Brigadier General Mohamed Samir said.
22 vehicles and 146 unlicensed motorcycle used by militants to target army and police personnel were also destroyed in the army raids, he said, adding that 112 headquarters and shelters of militants were also wiped out.
Recently, two militants were killed and 61 others arrested during raids by army in four separate restive governorates between 17 to 19 November.
Egypt declared a three-month state of emergency in parts of north Sinai and a curfew following a deadly attack that killed 31 soldiers last month.
The military has launched security campaigns in the area, arrested suspects and demolished houses that belonged to terrorists, including those facilitating tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip.
North Sinai has witnessed many violent attacks by militants since the Egyptian Revolution of 2011, that toppled ex-president Hosni Mubarak.
The militant attacks targeting police and military increased after the ouster of Islamist ex-president Mohamed Morsi last year. Over 500 security personnel have been killed so far.