Army ready to deter any attack: Ayatollah Ali Khamenei
Tehran: Iran`s supreme leader Friday said that his country`s military is ready to deter any attack and warned enemies of the Islamic Republic to abandon any "thoughts of invasion."
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei`s remarks came as tensions are rising in the region over a possible strike by Israel against Iran`s nuclear facilities.
The US and its allies accuse Iran of using its civilian nuclear program as a cover to develop nuclear weapons. Tehran has denied the charges, saying its program is peaceful and geared toward generating electricity and producing radioisotopes to treat cancer patients.
"The readiness of the Iranian armed forces is such ... It will deter the enemy from harboring any thoughts of invasion," state TV quoted Khamenei as saying during a visit to a military base in the country`s northeast.
Israel has not ruled out a military option against Iran`s suspect program and has recently said that time is running out before Iran obtains a nuclear weapon. Israel considers a nuclear-armed Iran to be a threat to its existence, citing Iranian denials of the Holocaust, calls for Israel`s destruction, development of missiles capable of striking the Jewish state and its support for hostile Arab militant groups.
Washington and others favor a mix of sanctions and diplomacy to try to force Tehran to curb its nuclear program. Khamenei, who has final say on all state matters in the country, said Iran "is not seeking to invade anyone but will not succumb to any attack or act of aggression."
As Khamenei visited the base today, his host Gen. Mohmmad Ali Jafari of the powerful Revolutionary Guard said the troops` naval and missile power has now been raised to a "strategic deterrence level."
Iran has long sought a self-sufficient military program and top officials frequently make announcements about the country`s strides in military technology.
Tehran has recently said it has upgraded the accuracy of its missiles with a range of 2,000 kilometers, which covers much of the Middle East, including Israel and US bases in the Gulf.
However, it is virtually impossible to independently determine the actual capabilities or combat worthiness of Iran`s arsenal.
Separately, the foreign ministry said a recent UN report that condemned Tehran of "deeply troubling" human rights violations was politically motivated and influenced by western adversaries including the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly