Army to confront violence: Egypt`s military chief
Cairo: Egypt`s military leader vowed Sunday that the Army will not allow further violence after the deaths of hundreds in days of political unrest, while still calling for the political inclusion of Islamist supporters of the country`s ousted president.
Defense minister Gen. Abdel-Fatah el-Sissi, who led the July 3 coup that toppled President Morsi, again said the army has no intention of seizing power in the Arab world`s most populous country.
El-Sissi`s comments came during his first appearance since a deadly crackdown Wednesday on two encampments of Morsi supporters left hundreds dead and sparked days of violence across the country.
"We will not stand by silently watching the destruction of the country and the people or the torching the nation and terrorizing the citizens," he said in comments quoted on state television and posted on an official military Facebook page.
The general said that the military didn`t seek power but instead "have the honor to protect the people`s will, which is much dearer (than) ruling Egypt."
El-Sissi called for Islamists to be included in the country`s politics moving forward. A military timetable calls for the nation`s constitution to be amended and for presidential and parliamentary elections to be held in 2014.
"We have given many chances ... to end the crisis peacefully and call for the followers of the former regime to participate in rebuilding the democratic track and integrate in the political process and the future map instead of confrontations and destroying the Egyptian state," he said.
El-Sissi made the comments at a gathering of top military commanders and police chiefs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...