Around 40 Russian spies active in UK
Moscow: Security services believe there are around 40 Russian spies operating in Britain, as they did during the Cold War.
According to The Telegraph, it is believed these spies are monitoring London-based oligarchs, or are engaged in industrial spying for commercial benefit to Russian firms.
A senior source told the paper that approximately 50 percent of the Russian embassy staff in London might be involved in intelligence gathering.
There are fears that Russia could take advantage of the Olympics and the Queen`s Diamond Jubilee celebrations to increase its spying network.
Oleg Gordievsky, a high-profile KGB defector, has warned that the number of spies operating in the UK could be greater than what there was in the mid-1980s.
Britain`s close relationship with America has always attracted Russia. A Russia expert at the respected security think-tank, the Royal United Services Institute (Rusi), Jonathan Eyal, said the UK has always been of interest to Russia as it is seen as a potential back door entry to US intelligence.
Relations between the two nations have been strained in recent years, particularly after the murder of Alexander Litvinenko in London in 2006, and difficulties in extraditing the chief suspect Andrei Lugovoi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar Class 10th Result 2016, BSEB 10th Result 2016: Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016 (biharboard.bih.nic.in) to be declared today on May 29
- Kiran Bedi to assume charge as Lt Governor of Puducherry today
- Trials of Talgo train to commence today: Know more about it
- Cristiano Ronaldo strikes shoot-out winner as Real Madrid crowned kings of Europe
- Pakistan had achieved nuclear capability in 1984: Abdul Qadeer Khan