`Around 40,000 Nigerian girls trafficked to Mali`
Abuja: Nigeria`s anti-human trafficking body says around 40,000 girls from the oil rich African country have been forced into prostitution in the nearby West African nation of Mali.
National Agency for the Prohibition of Traffic in Persons (NAPTIP) executive secretary Simon Egede said a trip to the West African country revealed this.
"I led a team from NAPTIP on a fact-minding mission to Mali this month after receiving reports about slave camps inhabited by Nigerian girls in Mali, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Niger, Libya, Morocco and Cape Verde," Egede said, adding that he discovered that the number of trafficked persons was between 20,000 to 40,000.
He said the girls were taken abroad for prostitution by female agents who subject them to degradable conditions in brothels.
"I visited two brothels and could not stand it anymore when I saw how the girls sat on two wooden platforms facing each other numbering about 40," he said.
Poverty has been identified as the reason behind human trafficking in Nigeria as most of the women get promises of better living standard before departing the country.
Initially, the destination had been Europe but the NAPTIP`s claim has uncovered a new angle which implies that the illegal business thrives within the African continent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy