`Around 40,000 Nigerian girls trafficked to Mali`
Abuja: Nigeria`s anti-human trafficking body says around 40,000 girls from the oil rich African country have been forced into prostitution in the nearby West African nation of Mali.
National Agency for the Prohibition of Traffic in Persons (NAPTIP) executive secretary Simon Egede said a trip to the West African country revealed this.
"I led a team from NAPTIP on a fact-minding mission to Mali this month after receiving reports about slave camps inhabited by Nigerian girls in Mali, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Niger, Libya, Morocco and Cape Verde," Egede said, adding that he discovered that the number of trafficked persons was between 20,000 to 40,000.
He said the girls were taken abroad for prostitution by female agents who subject them to degradable conditions in brothels.
"I visited two brothels and could not stand it anymore when I saw how the girls sat on two wooden platforms facing each other numbering about 40," he said.
Poverty has been identified as the reason behind human trafficking in Nigeria as most of the women get promises of better living standard before departing the country.
Initially, the destination had been Europe but the NAPTIP`s claim has uncovered a new angle which implies that the illegal business thrives within the African continent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray