New Delhi: The Pakistani media on Thursday dismissed India's claims of surgical strikes against terror camps on its territory and instead suggested that “Indian guns were silenced in a befitting reply from Pakistan Army.”
The Geo TV sought to rubbish the India's claim of 'surgical strikes' and said that Indian guns were silenced by the Pakistan Army.
It further claimed that only two Pakistani soldiers “embraced martyrdom” at the LoC during the crossfire.
Citing Pakistan's Director General Inter-service Public Relations Asim Saleem Bajwa, it reported that Pakistan has acted responsibly despite provocation by India.
“Pakistan has responded to all aggressive statements by India with restraint,” the Geo TV quoted him as saying. He added that Indian forces opened fire at the border at 2 am today. Bajwa denied reports of surgical strikes and said, “Those are all baseless lies by the Indian DGMO told to flatter their public.”
The Dawn newspaper reported that two Pak Army soldiers were killed in a firing but dismissed the Indian claim of 'surgical strikes'.
"There had been cross border fire initiated and conducted by India which is (an) existential phenomenon," Dawn reported quoting an ISPR statement.
"Pakistani troops befittingly responded to Indian unprovoked firing on the LoC in Bhimber, Hotspring Kel and Lipa sectors," the statement said.
The ISPR statement comes after India's Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) Lt Gen Ranbir Singh confirmed about the surgical strikes.
At a media briefing, he said that surgical strikes were conducted by the Indian army on "terror launch pads along the LoC."
“Some terrorist teams had positioned themselves at launchpads along the Line of Control,” he said.
“The Indian army conducted surgical strikes last night at these launchpads. Significant casualties have been caused to these terrorists and those who are trying to support them,” he told a press conference in New Delhi.
However, the Pakistan military swiftly dismissed the notion of a surgical strike.
Citing a Pakistan military statement, the Express Tribune reported, "The notion of surgical strike linked to alleged terrorists bases is an illusion being deliberately generated by Indian to create false effects.
"This quest by Indian establishment to create media hype by re-branding cross border fire as surgical strike is fabrication of truth.
“Pakistan has made it clear that if there is a surgical strike on Pakistani soil, same will be strongly responded."
A statement by Pakistan Air Force said that Pakistan’s airspace will be safeguarded at any cost.
“Pakistan Air Force is always alert and ready to issue a befitting response to foreign aggression," a spokesperson said.
Quoting Defence Minister Khawaja Asif, the Tribune further said that small firearms were used during the skirmish across the LoC and Pakistani forces responded in a befitting manner.
He added that Indian forces started firing in five sectors and that he was unaware of the casualties on the other side of the border.