Seoul: A day after the United Nations Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution outlining new sanctions against North Korea, Pyongyang on Friday said it is cancelling a hotline and a non-aggression pact with South Korea.
The fourth set of UN sanctions, in the wake of the recent nuclear test carried out by Pyongyang, is aimed at curbing the activities of North Korean banks suspected of funnelling money to the communist regime`s nuclear and missile programmes.
On Friday, North Korea issued a statement vowing retaliation with "crushing strikes" if enemies intrude into its territory. It also says it is voiding past nuclear disarmament statements between North and South Korea.
It previously said it was cancelling a hotline with the United States and the armistice that closed the Korean War in 1953.
North Korea conducted a third nuclear test in defiance of UN resolutions and appeals from its neighbours on February 12. The secretive regime previously conducted nuclear tests in 2006 and 2009.
(With Agency inputs)