ASEAN agrees on rules for South China Sea conduct
Phnom Penh: Ten Southeast Asian nations have agreed on a code of conduct to prevent armed clashes over the South China Sea but still seek to get China to agree to it, a Cambodian official said on Monday.
The agreement was reached at a meeting of foreign ministers in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, to which China does not belong. The issue of contending maritime claims is the major topic of the talks held in the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh, in large part because tensions over the sea have escalated in recent months.
Chinese and Philippine ships engaged in a standoff in one disputed area starting in April, and Vietnam last month protested Chinese energy proposals for seas both nations claim.
In his opening speech at the ASEAN meeting, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen urged Southeast Asian countries to do more to promote mutual economic growth and security and called for a code of conduct in the South China Sea to be implemented.
Cambodian Secretary of State Kao Kim Hourn said at a news conference late today that the declaration is intended to cover China in addition to ASEAN states. The code would spell out rules governing maritime rights and navigation in the South China Sea.
He said that ASEAN had "agreed on the key elements among ASEAN only, and from now on we have to start discussing this with China." Details of the code of conduct were not given. ASEAN will have a ministerial level meeting with China on Wednesday morning, along with other high-level meetings later this week.
China claims virtually the entire South China Sea and has created an entirely new city to administer it, sparking protests from rival claimants. The sea is crossed by some of the world`s busiest sea lanes, has rich fishing grounds and is believed to have vast energy reserves.
Hun Sen in his opening speech also said that ASEAN faces challenges including instability elsewhere in the world, natural disasters and high food and energy costs. He said the economic gap among ASEAN`s 10 members has narrowed but needs to be reduced further to ensure competitiveness and achieve real regional integration.
Kao Kim Hourn also announced the postponement of the signing of three documents on the Southeast Asia Nuclear Weapon-Free Zone, which had been expected this week.
He said the delay was the result of reservations raised by several members of the five recognized nuclear-weapon states. Because they were raised "at the last minute," more time was needed for additional consultations, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP