ASEAN leaders meet under China cloud
Yangon: Southeast Asian leaders head into a historic summit in Myanmar this weekend dogged by a flare-up of high-seas tensions with China that will test the region`s ability to stand together against a mighty economic partner.
Vietnam and the Philippines, both members of the 10-nation Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), squared up to Beijing this week in the South China Sea, whose waters are scored by overlapping territorial claims.
"China`s actions on the eve of the ASEAN meeting in Myanmar will put South China Sea issues on the top of the agenda," said Carl Thayer, an expert on the region at the University of New South Wales.
He said Beijing had been "aggressively assertive" by relocating a deep-water drilling rig in waters claimed by Vietnam and surrounding it with ships, adding it could be a riposte to US President Barack Obama`s recent Asia tour.
Hanoi said yesterday that the Chinese ships used water cannon to attack Vietnamese patrol vessels and repeatedly rammed them, injuring six people.
During his tour, Obama asserted support for US allies Japan and the Philippines, both locked in their own territorial disputes with Beijing.
Philippine police said yesterday they had seized a Chinese fishing vessel and detained its 11 crew members elsewhere in the South China Sea.
China said it was in the right in both the Philippine and Vietnam cases.
The sea is crisscrossed by fishing and shipping lanes and is thought to contain huge oil and gas reserves. Parts are claimed by ASEAN members Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia and the Philippines, as well as by Taiwan.
China, which asserts sovereign rights to almost all of the disputed waters, wants to negotiate with rivals on a bilateral basis. Other claimants reject that and want a multinational approach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir