Ashcroft to donate half of his 1.2 billion fortune to charity
London: Billionaire Tory Peer Lord Ashcroft is to pledge at least half of his 1.2 billion pounds fortune to charity as he joins a philanthropic movement led by Warren Buffett and Bill Gates, according to a media report on Sunday.
Lord Ashcroft will sign up to The Giving Pledge, a public commitment by billionaires to give away most of their wealth, The Sunday Times reported quoting its sources.
The report said Ashcroft will join the movement, probably in May.
He has already given more than 20 million pounds to Crimestoppers, the charity he founded a quarter of a century ago.
In the past year he has given 5 million pounds to Anglia Ruskin University; 1 million pounds to complete the Bomber Command war memorial in London and 1m pounds to help refurbish the First World War galleries at the Imperial War Museum in London.
Another six of Britain`s super rich have already made the pledge.
Based on their current wealth the seven donors, including Sir Richard and Lady Branson, John Caudwell, and Michael Mortiz and Harriet Heyman, have pledged a combined 3.7 billion pounds, the report said.
Gates and Buffett - two of the wealthiest men in the world - started the initiative called The Giving Pledge.
According to the Sunday Times Rich List published today, the collective wealth of the richest 1,000 has reached a record 450 billion pounds, up 35 billion pounds on last year.
There are a record number of 118 women in the Rich List, although many owe their wealth to marriage or inheritance. They include 21-year-old India Rose James, granddaughter of the late Paul Raymond, publisher of top-shelf magazines.
She is the youngest in the list and worth 329 million pounds with her sister Fawn - more than the Queen (320m pounds).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks