Asian immigrants` kids better off than US population
Washington: America`s 20 million adult US-born children of Asian and Hispanic immigrants are substantially better off than their parents in household income, college graduation rates and home-ownership levels, according to a new study.
These second generation Americans are also more likely to speak English, have friends outside their racial or ethnic group and view themselves as a "typical American", the Pew Research Centre`s Social and Demographic Trends Project found.
Indian Americans are not counted separately in the study and are included among Asian Americans, who together with Hispanics make up about seven-in-10 of today`s adult immigrants and about half of today`s adult second generation.
The second-generation Hispanics and Asian Americans also place more importance than does the general public on hard work and career success, according to the Pew analysis of US Census Bureau data.
They are more inclined to call themselves liberal and less likely to identify as Republicans, it said. And for the most part they are more likely to say their standard of living is higher than that of their parents at the same stage of life.
The report comes as the US Congress gears up to consider immigration reforms to tackle the problem of over 11 million illegal immigrants, including some 250,000 Indians.
Given current immigration trends and birth rates, virtually all (93 percent) of the growth of America`s working-age population between now and 2050 will be accounted for by immigrants and their US-born children, the study projected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read