Asian Muslim woman, four kids die in Britain fire
London: An Asian Muslim woman, who worked as a doctor, and four of her children died on Monday in a devastating house fire in Britain, which police said was "suspicious".
Firefighters were called to the two-storey property in Barn Mead in Essex around 1.45 am where they found flames pouring from both the front and back doors, the Daily Mail reported.
Two sons -- 11-year-old Sohaib and six-year-old Rayan -- and 13-year-old daughter Hira, and their mother Sabah Usmani were declared dead after being pulled from the inferno, The Sun said.
A third son, nine-year-old Muneeb, died later in hospital, while his three-year-old sister, Maheen, was in a critical condition.
Usmani`s doctor husband Abdul Shakour survived the blaze with minor injuries.
The family was of Asian origin but their nationality was not known.
Police told the daily they were investigating whether the fire was started deliberately.
Firefighters said when they arrived at the scene they found a car on fire a short distance from the house. The car was not connected to the family, and police are treating the car fire as arson.
A neighbour said she was awoken in the early hours of the morning by the sound of "horrible screaming" from the house.
She said she heard a woman screaming "help". "It was absolutely horrible," she said.
Another neighbour told the daily the Asian family had only recently moved into the area, and that the father was a doctor.
Shakour was inside the house when the blaze started but had escaped by the time firefighters arrived. He is not currently being treated as a suspect, police said.
A fire official said the blaze, which started downstairs while the family were asleep upstairs, had developed rapidly, suggesting some kind of fuel may have been used.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference